• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • FYI - Your missing Content - your only seeing non-registered Guest Information... Quickly register and sign on to see more! (Shoutbox, current activity etc, more forums)

My Halloween Lunging Spider

KozmoK

Hacker Cracker
Staff member
Admin
I know its not even close to Halloween yet...But I like to make all my stuff mostly by myself and plans I find on the internet...and I have to get started a few months early to get it all done on time!

Here are some Pics of the Lunging Spider Mech Prop I made

(I was learning how to weld, so dont shame me!)

This prop will be fully automated in the next week or so - I am waiting for some pieces/parts from ebay to arrive.

The Prop controller will control the spiders eyes (they light up red), and turn on a strobe light that will be located in front of the spider facing it - to draw attention from halloweeners. It will be triggered by a pressure mat, and it will trigger a strobe light on the spider, with it making some insect noises, then it will Lung 2.5 -3.0ft forward screaming, then it will reset, and then wait a mandatory 2 minutes between runs.

Here is a short shitty video of me testing out the pneumatic without the spider attached.

The spider is pretty big and heavy, so I must anchor the metal base into the ground for support. I got some huge 12" stake nails I will utilize for this.

Today I got it all painted flat black. Its tricky painting, because I used steel square tubing as the base, and aluminium for the other pieces to make it more light weight. I had to use some automotive etching primer for the aluminium so it would adhere nicely.

I will also be building a radioactive wood crate the spider will be sitting on, with a green pulsing light from inside the crate will be visible through the gap between the slats. As if the spider is feeding on the radioactive energy to grow GIANT!

Attachments

Last edited:

AbsoluteKaos

KOZBOT AVENGER
What type of welding did you do? MIG? Angle, heat, and travel speed help you get nice beads. Play around with that. The tubing looks like thin carbon steel so you don't want to crank up the amperage too much. Looks like a fun project man. Gonna scare the kiddies for sure.

KozmoK

Hacker Cracker
Staff member
Admin
What type of welding did you do? MIG? Angle, heat, and travel speed help you get nice beads. Play around with that. The tubing looks like thin carbon steel so you don't want to crank up the amperage too much. Looks like a fun project man. Gonna scare the kiddies for sure.
Yeah its real thin 1.25" square tubing I used a MIG welder. I burned through it on a few places...I should have used thicker square tube.

Also I learned not to weld with flip flops and shorts on!!!!

Last edited:

AbsoluteKaos

KOZBOT AVENGER
Also I learned not to weld with flip flops and shorts on!!!!
LMAO I learned that on day one when I first started welding. I mostly do TIG, but MIG is nice because it's easy to do. But as far as the thickness goes, that's when you lower your amperage. In total the diameter might be 1.25sq.in. but the material itself might be like and 1/8". Just lower the amps and you should be good. If you can't lower the amps, just speed up your travel. Either way, that's a really well-made project, especially for someone with no prior experience. And seeing how you like to tinker with things on your own you're gonna get better and better as you do more projects.

Smockled

KOZBOT GOD
Staff member
so...............

Sounds like the perfect way to scare the wifey.
Should add some red LEDs for the eyes, get a wireless bluetooth speaker and have it play like a really low sounding noise so that she will go figure out where the sound is coming from..

then boom, active teh spider, haha

KozmoK

Hacker Cracker
Staff member
Admin
The eyes do have LED's :) 4 of them light up. I will be automating it all this week!

so...............

Sounds like the perfect way to scare the wifey.
Should add some red LEDs for the eyes, get a wireless bluetooth speaker and have it play like a really low sounding noise so that she will go figure out where the sound is coming from..

then boom, active teh spider, haha

Hawkeye

Jaidee's Evil American Clone
H.A. LifeTime Friend
You're quite the inventor. A lunging spider and a pool sweep. What else is in the back of the garage in development?