1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. FYI - Your missing Content - your only seeing non-registered Guest Information... Quickly register and sign on to see more! (Shoutbox, current activity etc, more forums)
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hi There Guest! If your not sure about buying from us at HackersAdvantage, or unsure of our Detection Rates - Please Register and make a post asking! Our Staff and Members will reply to every question! We have the longest non-detection streaks in the industry! We offer a 3 day refund on hacks that you can not get to work on your PC. NO OTHER SITE DOES THIS!
    Dismiss Notice

What can I do with my server?!? Need suggestions...

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by TheRevolution, Jan 4, 2013.

1. TheRevolution

TheRevolution LifeTime Friend H.A. LifeTime Friend

I have an HP Proliant DL380 G2 that is currently serving as a domain controller at my house. I don't feel like using it for that anymore. Actually the wife and kids are bitching that they have to log-in to their PC's. :D I was using it more as a learning tool. Just to figure out how to setup Windows Server 2003, how to manage the domain, create users, etc.

What else could I use it for??

Here are some specs on it.

2x76GB 10k drives (mirrored)
    2x146GB 10k drives (mirrored)
    12 GB RAM
    Dual Xenon processors (only 32-bit, so no newer Microsoft o/s)

2. Arnold

Arnold EVIL KOZBOT VANQUISER

Well, can you use it as a DLNA server or a media server of some sort? can you buy a SATA card and slave up some drives in there? G2, does that have GbE or 10/100 ports?

You could probably use it as a file repository / DR box to house your records and backups. Just attach an external drive and you'd be all set. I think Backup Exec or other mainstream backup/recovery suites will run on your box and still recognize the external drive.

Can you run Windows Server 2008? It comes in 32-bit for Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter, Web Server, and Storage Server. I think your dual-Xenon platform meets the minimum specs.

If your family doesn't want to keep logging into their PC's, buy them the USB fingerprint readers and have them log in that way. :p Actually, you may be able to do the AutoLogon feature with your domain, but it has to be Win2k8 and Windows 7 on up workstations.

3. TheRevolution

TheRevolution LifeTime Friend H.A. LifeTime Friend

I was thinking of a sort of backup server. I was thinking automated backups of each machine in the house to the server. Problem right now is drive space. The server has 6 HDD slots and I only have 4 filled. If I bought 2 more 146GB drives I'd be in ok shape. I could run the os on the 2x76GB drives (RAID1) and backups to the 4x146GB drives (RAID10).

This server has dual 10/100 NICs'. However, I believe there are PCI-x cards available for it that are gigabit speed.

I'm running 2008 on it now, not sure why I put 2003 up above. 32-bit versions only because these are old processors. :(

4. Arnold

Arnold EVIL KOZBOT VANQUISER

can you get 320gb drives instead, or they not the same form factor? Is there an available pci-x slot inside for the add-on card? As far as a backup server, will you be using it to backup all you media files? I'd probably backup the most important docs and files, then the media off to some external drives via USB. Maybe a drive to drive thing, or if you have a tape drive, Disk-to-disk-to-tape. But 4x146 in RAID10 is only @ 290, right? Still, spending for more 146gb drives...I dunno if you really really want to spend too much on them. I'm pretty sure you can find good deals on these older drives, right?

I'm guessing your server is your house printer server too. Is it also your house anti-virus server as well? Can you install Exchange on the server and make it a house email server?

Could you do a VMWare ESX/ESXi server and relegate the other workstations as VMWare images? You could run a few Win2k8/2k3 servers based on the memory you have (2gb per instance) and still have overhead for ESXi. :) Cloud computing is only a few hundred clicks away!